Opening Salvo

This is a first, Rumsfeldian step into the unknown unknown. Unlike Robinson Crusoe, these footprints may not be washed away. Amidst the trillions of words, our digital scratchings, these binary prints, I am not so narcissistic as to believe that this particular paragraph is of any particular significance. But the journey I have in mind is, I hope, a journey worth making; and, if I make it, then others may one day come this way. I hope, should you find yourself on this path - and, indeed, when I myself pass this way again - that this first step seems reassuring rather than ridiculous.

So. Where am I heading? Towards a thing I have for the past few years been calling 'an economy of enough'. It's a long journey, and a long story, and I have no intention of attempting to explain it all in one go. Instead I'm hoping, through the medium of these posts, to unpack and explain 'enoughness' by noting and commenting on economic and social and environmental affairs over the coming weeks and months, simultaneously throwing new light on those affairs and articulating what 'enoughness' is all about.

That's nearly enough intro, but two further pieces of preamble are warranted. Firstly, there's a thread in hyperspace around 'enoughness' that is conspicuously Christian in its orientation. This blog, and my interpretation of enoughness, is categorically secular: not reductionist, not mechanistic, but definitely not mystical.

Second, there is also an ecological or environmental angle on enoughness, some of which postulates simpler living at the individual level, some of which campaigns on an anti-consumerist platform, with which this blog is more closely aligned, but I am hoping that I can adopt a rather broader perspective on the problem and, in so doing, get closer to its hub. We shall see.

Enough already, methinks, for a first post.

I'm quietly thrilled. This might be good.


















[If there's a photo down here it was added August 2017 as part of blog refresh.  Photo is either mine or is linked to where I found it. Make of either what you will.]



Comments

Popular Posts